Friday, April 24, 2015

Mixed Vegetable Curry (Dry)

Onions - a vegetable without it my cooking is not complete. So today I ran out of onions, and was feeling like I missed something important. But I can't just let the onions stop my day from going ahead. After ruffling inside my fridge with the available veggies I decided to make dry mixed vegetable curry with potato, cauliflower, & peas. And the important thing I should  remember is not to tell my dear husband and kids that I prepared the curry without onion, if they come to know sadly they wouldn't eat. Without boring you further with the story let me take you through the recipe.

Ingredients:
1. Mixed vegetables - 4 cups cauliflower, potato, peas (can add carrot, beans, broccoli, etc)
2. Coriander Powder - 2 tbsp
3. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
4. Red Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
5. Hing/Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
6. Cumin Powder - 1 tbsp
7. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
8. Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
9. Curry Leaves - 10 leaves
10. Salt - to taste
11. Oil - 1 tbsp
12. Garam masala powder (optional) - to taste

Method:
1. Wash and cut the vegetables into medium sized pieces.
2. Heat a heavy bottomed, pour oil when it's warm add mustard seeds when it crackle add cumin seeds and let it fry for few seconds.
3. Sauté curry leaves, turmeric powder, hing for few seconds.
4. When nice aroma comes up, add the vegetables, sauté in high heat for a minute and reduce the heat to low.
5. Add 1/4 cup water and cover the veggies to let it cook.
6. After about 5 minutes, open the lid give veggies a stir, add salt, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder and mix well.
7. Let the vegetables cook until done or if you like it crunchy remove it little early when it's 90% done.
8. If you prefer before removing from heat add garam masala mix thoroughly but gently.

Yummy no onion no garlic dry vegetable curry is ready to serve.

Tips:

To give a variation add some coconut or crushed peanuts or even crushed almonds & cashew nuts at the end to give a rich taste.

Note:
Make sure you cook the veggies in the low heat, because slow cooking retains the goodness in the veggies and also the flavours of spices will be absorbed well by all the veggies.

I would love to hear your experience if you try making this yummy mixed vegetable curry.

PS - I couldn't take good photos as I have just shifted home and yet to unpack the things.

No comments: