One heartful of love, peaceful mind, & willingness to cook are the key ingredients which will make your biryani extra special!
Green cardamom - 5
Black Cardamom - 1
Bay leaf - 6small or 2 big
Peppercorns - 1tsp
Cinnamon sticks - 1 big piece
Star anise - 2
Cloves - 5
Mace - 1tsp
Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4tsp
Lime juice - 1 small
Yogurt - 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Mint leaves - one handful
Coriander leaves - one handful
Green chillies - 3 or 4 numbers
Salt - to taste
Mixed Vegetables - 2 cups
(I used cauliflower, carrot, potato, beans)
Rose water - 1/2 tbsp
Fried Onion - one handful
Saffron - 1 tsp
Milk - 1 tbsp
Basmati Rice - 1 and 1/2 cup
Water - 2 1/2 cups
1. Prepare powder using the ingredients mentioned under the Biryani Masala.
2. Chop roughly coriander & mint leaves.
3. Grind the ginger,garlic and green chillies into fine paste.
When all the ingredients are ready, wash and cut vegetables into equal pieces of medium size.
4. Take the cut vegetables in a bowl; to that add biryani masala powder, chopped coriander & mint leaves, ginger-garlic paste, lime juice, yogurt, oil and salt. Mix well, cover & keep it aside for at least 60 minutes to help vegetables absorb the flavors.
Basmati Rice cooking method
5. Wash and soak basmati rice for one hour before making biryani.
6. Soak saffron in warm milk.
7. Boil 2&1/2 cups of water add oil, & salt. Check for salt and adjust as per taste.
8. Drain the excess water from the soaked rice and add it to the boiling water; cook until the rice is 65% done.
Switch off the stove & drain the water.
9. Cut onion into thin small strips & deep fry until crispy. Drain & keep it aside for garnishing.
Biryani final stage cooking:
10. Take Handi or heavy bottomed cookware; place the marinated vegetables at the bottom of the dish.
11. Add semi cooked & drained basmati rice on top of it and spread it evenly.
12. Evenly sprinkle fried onion; drizzle the saffron-milk, rose water, and ghee (if preferred) on top.
13. If you have chapathi dough, stick it on the sides of the Handi/cook pot lid to create a tight seal of the lid on the cook pot. If you don't have chapathi dough, keep a weight on top of the lid.
14. Cook the biryani on high flame/heat for 5 mins; reduce the flame/heat to very low & place the biryani pot/handi on top of a frypan. Let it cook for 30 mins.
15. Switch off the stove, wait 10 mins for the biryani to set. Open the lid carefully, mix the biryani very carefully.
Yummy restaurant style Vegetable Biryani is ready to eat.
It is one of the low time consuming preparation process. Keeping things ready before starting the preparation, will make your life more easy. You can use the store bought biryani masala but make sure you add some freshly ground masala to enhance the biryani flavor.
Hope you enjoyed the recipe. Don't for get to post your comments.